Happy Wednesday Everyone,
I have a question for you all. Do you ever ponder about how different your life is now compared to how you visioned it years ago? I for one thought I would be married, have my own house, a strong career, and starting to have kids by now. Well, that is not the case! I’m hoping to still head in that direction, just life brought me some different turns and changes along the road, which is perfectly okay!
Now that I’m close to 26 years old, “adulting” is becoming more and more important to me every day compared to my early 20 years. Let’s just say I had a lot of fun in college and now I am wishing I was more responsible about my budget in those days. I definitely spent a lot of money on silly things that could have come in handy in my savings account nowadays! I worked at least one to two part-time jobs throughout my whole college years. I also received financial aid to help cover the cost of classes and living expenses.For a college student, I was actually making pretty good money! Back then, I didn’t think about how I was going to pay off my student loans or saving up money for a new car or house in the future. I just earned a paycheck and spent a lot of it on meaningless things like junk food, booze, and clothes ( I admit, I was a bit of a party girl in college). I also spent a lot of money on my horses which were a more important cost, but still spendy nonetheless. I didn’t plan out a budget and all of my purchases were quite impulsive. Looking back, I wish I would have been more responsible in my spending and savings especially now that I’m in more of an adult mode. Adulting is hard but it is quickly becoming my reality more and more every day! Thank goodness for coffee!!
As you all know, my boyfriend is finishing up school here in Utah and is expected to be done by December. We are hoping to settle down wherever he finds a job somewhere in the Northwest this coming new year. Next week we will be together for a year and we are now currently living together. We are quickly heading into full on adult mode and I’m in a “bring it on” mindset! We both came to a realization about it the other night when we needed to make a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond and Harbor Freight! We joked and said we are becoming an “old married” couple now! We aren’t engaged or married yet, but that is on both of our radars especially now that our relationship is growing more and more serious. Adulting thoughts about marriage, buying or even building a house, paying off my student loans, future career goals, and even retirement are coming across my mind more and more each month. I’m getting old! I hope to be more wise about budget planning throughout the last half of my 20’s and onward. I want the last half of my 20’s to be fun, but more responsible in areas that lacked responsibility in the past. I want to set a good pace for the rest of my life so I can live the American Dream.
Personal Capital has a free Net Worth Calculator that is a great tool to use to help you know your net worth. On their website they have a lot of tools that can be helpful for future investments, wealth management, and retirement planning.
I decided to write a check list of things I would like accomplished in the last half of my 20’s and 30’s:
My Serious Adulting Checklist:
- Finish studying and start my own Equine Sports Massage Business by next Spring 2017
- Find a town/area that my boyfriend and I want to start “digging in our roots”- hopefully by next spring we will have a better idea
- Save up money for a commuting car/SUV in the next year or so
- Get engaged and married in the next 1-2 years
- Pay off my student loans in 3-5 years- I really want this out of the way asap!!!!
- Save up money to buy my parents pickup and start saving money for a new horse trailer with living quarters. Next 3-5 years
- Save up money for a buying or building a home with property hopefully this will be done in the next 3-5 years. We both have decided we would like to eventually build, but buying might be a good option in the mean time
- Have my potential Equine Sports Massage Business be full-time in the next 3 years. Have a full time or 3/4 time job in the meantime.
- Start a small horse breeding and training business on the side after our home/property is established
- Have a nice horse training facility with a barn and arena- definitely outside-hopefully indoor
- Planning for retirement- I’m not as worried about this one right now because I work for a University which has a good retirement plan. I also worked at another University after college which also had a retirement plan. If I start my own business in the future, I will need to plan more for retirement.
- Have extra savings for trips and other miscellaneous things!
My fun Adulting Bucket list:
- Compete in Professional Rodeos, fantasy goal to make it to the NFR!!
- Fill my Women’s Professional Rodeo Permit in the next 3 years
- Have a horse win a big futurity!
- Have a horse win a slot race!
- Go watch the Kentucky Derby
- Travel in the U.S.
- Travel to Europe
- Travel to Australia
- Take more landscape photographs
- Build up my blog, and make it into a potential side business
Do you have any serious Adulting items that you want accomplished in your 20’s/30’s? If so, what?