Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone! I hope your travels are safe and that you have a wonderful time with your family and friends.
Tomorrow marks the first Thanksgiving where I will be away from my family in Northern Idaho! I will be spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriend’s family in Salt Lake City. I am looking forward to meeting more of his family 🙂 Since this is not my normal traditional Thanksgiving, I am a bit nervous about the change. I’m sure I will be a bit homesick tomorrow, but I will definitely be giving my family phone calls so I don’t feel like I’m missing out on all of the festivities!
I decided to write a list of family Thanksgiving traditions that I have participated in the last 25 years of my life!
- Grandma’s House: For Thanksgiving we always head over to my grandmother’s house about 10 minutes away down the gravel road to meet for a late lunch/early dinner with my dad’s side of the family
- Thanksgiving: Before we eat, we take turns saying what we are thankful for and the Lord’s blessings upon us for the year. My dad usually follows with a prayer before we eat
- Grandma’s Home Cooked Turkey: We eat lots of turkey!
- Grandma’s Homemade Stuffing: one word… Delicious describes it best!
- Grandma’s Homemade Grape Juice: Delicious doesn’t even do it justice! My grandma makes it from her grapes in her garden. It honestly is the icing to the dinner, if dinner was cake!
- Grandma’s Homemade Dinner Rolls: Honestly the best rolls on earth especially when eating Thanksgiving leftovers the next day, or later that night!
- Grandma’s Homemade Jams: They definitely compliment the rolls! My grandma usually makes her jams from items she has grown in her garden. Her apricot jam is AMAZING!
- Grandma’s Homemade Pies: My grandma loves baking and finding new recipe’s. It is not uncommon for her to bake over 10 pies for Thanksgiving! I’m not even kidding! My favorites are her coconut pecan pie, Toll House Pie, apple pie and her plum blackberry pies…. but honestly all of her pies are delicious and it is always a dilemma to pick and choose!
- Football: The guys in the family always like playing a football game in the background while we eat.
- Pool games with the cousins: My grandma has a pool table downstairs so my cousins and I usually go and play a few games of pool while our parents are catching up! It’s always a blast
- Foot Spa Day: My mom has started a new tradition the last few years. She brings her foot soaking supplies, so us ladies get to have a spa and nail painting time while the guys are finishing up their football games. It’s pretty relaxing! We usually watch a chick flick while catching up on all of the gossip!
- Black Friday Coupons: My mom and my aunts always bring a big stack of Black Friday coupons and newspaper inserts. We usually spend a few hours looking over them and plan our friday adventure
- Black Friday Shopping the next day: My mom and I always wake up early to go to Macy’s to get great deals on winter boots. We head to other stores afterwords
- Thanksgiving Left Overs: Always a great way to get you through the following week!
These are all of the main traditions that I always cherish! There are more, but I must say these will be the ones I will miss the most this Thanksgiving. However, I am looking forward to starting new traditions with my boyfriends family. I’m excited to see how his family celebrates Thanksgiving! Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
What are some of your families Thanksgiving Traditions? What are some ways that you have learned to accept new traditions when a significant others family is involved?
By the way Starbucks has their Cranberry Bliss Bars out! Definitely one of my personal Holiday Traditions, that I love indulging in 🙂