A Look Inside my Tack Room: Part 1
Hello everyone, I’ve decided to start creating a monthly series of Equine items and products that I use often and highly recommend. I thought this would be a fun idea. My horses are basically my children, so I’m always looking for the best products, supplements, and tack on the market. Here are a few items that I can’t live without!
1. Back On Track Therapeutic Quick Wraps $92.95 from Smart Pak
- First of all, I LOVE Back on Track! If I was rich, I would buy ALL of their products for both my horses and myself! So far the BOT quickwraps are my favorite. They are easy to put on the horses. Take less than 5 minutes to put on whereas if I’m wrapping and using standing wraps it can take me 15 minutes depending on how my day is going! They are expensive but trust me they work! If your horse stocks up or has any swelling, these really come in handy. I also put them on my horses about 1-2 hours before a run to warm up their legs.
2. Sore No More Performance Gelotin
- I highly recommend this product! I’ve used it for about 2 years now and I love it! It’s easy to use, I store mine in my horse trailer and use it after barrel runs and hard workouts. You can buy it in a gelotin or spray form. If my gelding has any swelling or is stocked up, I use it on him. It smells great and works wonders!
3. Platinum Performance Equine Wellness Formula Equine or CJ
- I have been using Platinum Performance for over a year now and I swear by it! Forest was lame last winter for unknown reasons and I started him on their Platinum Performance CJ supplement. He started improving in less than a month. I currently feed my horses the regular Equine Formula. This supplement has everything to help your horses wellness and give them support for performance. Plus the horses LOVE it!!! I usually feed them grain with the supplement but they will eat it without, pretty amazing I must say! I’ve had bad luck in the past trying to get horses to eat certain supplements, which is never fun. It is expensive but it has all the main ingredients that your horse needs, which makes feeding easier and cost effective.
4. Purina Grain: Strategy
Purina is by far my favorite company for grain. They have specific grains for certain levels of performance horses, senior horses and mares and foals. I have had great results using their Senior feed, Ultium growth and Competition Horse, OMolene with different Competition/Performance levels, and Strategy is my favorite! I currently use Strategy for my barrel horses that are in training.
5. Offset D Snaffle bit
- By far my favorite kind of bridle. Offset D’s are perfect for any kind of horse, whether young or old. They really work great at making your horse supple and soft. I use them on my green horses to make them extra soft. I also use them as tune up bits for my more finished horses. This type of bit is nice because they come in multiple mouth pieces. I use the smooth mouthpiece on my colts and green horses. I use the twisted wire on my more finished horses who need snaffle work from their regular shanked bits. Every horseman should have one of these in their tack rooms!
Have you tried any of these products? What are some items that you love in your tackroom?